Enterprise - August Articles
Transcribed by C.C. (Chip) Culpepper, March 2003 from Xeroxed copies of the original text supplied by Debra Denard. Editor’s (Culpepper’s) marks/comments are indicated by the use of italic type within brackets, e.g. {italicized words}, otherwise the text appears as it was written by T.J. Carlisle in 1902.


Of 37th Ala. Regiment.
No. 6.


The regiment went out on Brigade Review to day. We suffered greatly on account of heat, dust and thirst.

July 17 and 18-dull and lifeless.

On dress parade an order was read promoting Lieutenant T. J. Griffin to 1st Lieutenant of Co. "I" and T. J. Carlisle to 2nd Lieutenant of the same. The vacancy in the company was occasioned by the appointment of Lieutenant J.W. Oslin to the Surgency of the regiment.

July 22d. An election for second Junior Lieut. Was ordered, which resulted in the election of J. T. Hunter after three ballotings.

July 23d. Dr. B. F. Flake, company "H," was appointed to fill the vacancy, Assistant Surgeon of the Regiment, occasioned by the resignation of Dr. Neal. R.H. Boyd, 2d Sergeant of Co. "I" died to-day from fever. His death cast a gloom over the entire Company. He was unmarried.

We are excited over the probability of our being ordered to Richmond. We are just in receipt of orders assigning us to Adam’s Brigade temporarily. A detail of men was made from each company to go up to Columbus and draw guns for the regiment. The guns were all smooth bore muskets except sixty-nine rifles which were drawn for when Company "K" was the lucky one.
On the night of the 27th of July a detail of eight men from each company was made to go up town and serenade General Adams, who had been assigned to some other post of duty. Col. Adams, of Memphis, takes command of Brigade. At night a most glorious prayer meeting was held under the arbor, when five soldiers professed conversion. Next day after preaching in fore noon two soldiers were received into the church. Meeting of some kind every night. The attendance very large, as the revival in our regiment is causing many from other commands to come to the services.
On the 2d day of August the Baptists of the Regiment organized themselves into an association.

Health of the Regiments still no better.

Convalescents on being moved up to town to the Fair Ground Hospital. Sunday evening a grand sermon was preached by Dr. Teasdale; text, 23d chapter and 11th verse of Ezekiel.
No mail to-day; trains failed to make connection.
Rain at intervals during the day.

Monday, August 4th. Officers of the Regiment went up to town to receive pay for services, but pay master refused, having determined to pay off all commands according to seniority. Rainy nearly all day.

Tuesday 5th, went up to town to get papers for the following named members of the Company who had been discharged from service of the Confederate States, viz:
Sergeant J.H. Barnes, August 3d,1862, Columbus.
David M. Beaty, August 21, 1862, Saltillo.
Geo. W. Epperson, August 2, 1862, Columbus.
Wm. J. Gilmore, August 2, 1862, Columbus.
Isham M. Gunter, August 2, 1862, Columbus.
Wm. T. Hammock, August 2, 1862, Columbus.
Robt. R. Moore, July 1, 1862, Columbus.
Joseph W. Phillips, June 23, 1862, Columbus.
Wm. Wright, June 23, 1862, Columbus.
Jas. T. Williams, June 22d, 1862, Columbus.
Wm. C Bandy, August 2d, 1862, Columbus.
The following were discharged at Auburn:
Wm. Boyd, June, 1862.
Jackson Caldwell, May, "
Thos. Collins, " "
Willis Wood, " "

The Regiment was called out about 8 o’clock at night for inspection by Capt. Clarke, Gen Price’s Adjutant.

Next morning we received orders from Tupelo informing us that we were permanently assigned to Gen. Price’s command. We expect to move soon.

Aug. 6th. About dark orders came cook for days’ rations, and be in readiness to take the cars by 7 o’clock next morning. Officers of the Regiment were busy nearly all nght making out muster rolls in order to draw wages for the command. We slept but little that night. Officers were paid two months wages.

Aug. 7th. Struck tents and moved to the depot. Left on the train at 10 o’clock p.m. We had been at Camp Bluett from the 5th day of June, a little over two months, and the boys were glad to have a change, they rent the air with their shouts as the cars moved us from the depot at Columbus, Miss. The wages due the men were paid to them on board the cars. We ran out to Artesia, fifteen miles, and remained until next morning at 8 o’clock when we took cars for Saltillo, Miss. Suffered for water during the day’s travel, and very much crowded, not having but one car for each company and baggage. The 37th Mississippi Regiment was with us. We arrived at Saltillo nine miles above tupelo at 4 o’clock p.m., and marched out to temporary camp until further orders. Ours is the only regiment in this division of the army. Being very much fatigued we rested finely upon the bare earth.

Aug. 9th. All confusion to-day, boys looking after their baggage, and complaining because things are so badly mixed and managed. Twenty men from each company detailed to go out west of the railroad and clear up camping ground. The whole face of the earth around Saltillo presents all the appearances of an old camping place. Lieut. Griffin, who was left at Columbus on duty, came in about dark this morning.

Sunday, August 10th. The day was dull and nothing to revive the drooping spirits of the boys. Some of the companies of the regiment were moved over to our permanent camp to-day. Next day remaining companies were moved over. Col. McLain, of the 37th Mississippi Regiment commands the Brigade, composed of the following Regiments: 37th, 36th, 39th Mississippi and 37th Alabama Regiments. Maj. Gen. Little, of Louisiana, is in command of the post at Saltillo. Great excitement prevails among both officers and privates about the threatened enforcement of General Bragg’s rule of promotion by seniority.

This rule would change officers from their own companies. Whenever a vacancy occurs in the offices of any Company, the oldest officer by date of his commission, in next grade, would fill the vacancy, notwithstanding he belonged to a different company.
August 12th and 13th, we were busy arranging matters about our new camp. We are located about one mile from Saltillo, in the woods, where the trees, mostly red oak, are very tall and thick. Our water is scarce and sorry. Beef tough, poor and blue. Meal coarse and musty-no flour. The 37th Mississippi Regiment on our right, 38th Mississippi net on our right, 36th Mississippi on our left, a quarter of a mile from us. The 36th and 37th Mississippi Regiments, both have excellent brass bands.

Aug. 14th. Went out on Brigade Review, leaving camps before day and without breakfast. We are inclined to believe that these reviews and displays are more for the purpose of the BIG officers showing their brass buttons and equestrian dignity, than for any substantial good. Maj. J.W. Amarine left us this evening. We regret losing such a gallant officer. He has resigned and will return to his home in Pike county, Alabama, for the purpose of raising a regiment. He succeeded in getting up a regiment and was made Colonel of it, taking the 47th Alabama Regiment.

Joseph H. Harris put in Starling V. Belser as substitute July 25, 1862, at Columbus, Miss. Lloyd Robertson put in R. Jordan as substitute August 2, 1862.

Wm. P. Spratling put in substitute Sept. 3, 1862. Nat Robertson was transferred to co. "F" and put in substitute in same month of Spratling (Sept.) This was necessary because only one substitute can be put in any company during same month. The Brigade was ordered out to-day (Sunday 17th) on general review, one mile west of Saltillo. Ten thousand troops on review. Preaching in the evening, but little interest taken in the services by the soldiers. From present indications we will be on the march soon and will advance to the enemy. At 7 o’clock a.m., 18th, Col. McLain inspected our quarters.

Company drill in the morning and battalion drill in the evening. On dress parade this eveing the order assigning Brigadier General Martin, of Tennessee, to the command of the brigade was read. He is a young gallant officer, having had the rank of Brigadier-General conferred upon him for gallant conduct at the battle of Shiloh. He relieves us from anxiety and confusion by saying that officers in his Brigade shall not be promoted by seniority, out of their immediate companies. On battalion this evening (19th) Col. Green gave the order to charge bayonets at double quick in line of battle, which resulted in great amusement to the boys. At dress parade another order for Brigade Review to-morrow. It is now about 12 o’clock at night and nearly all the boys are up writing and sending money home by B.F. Spratling, who will leave to-morrow morning for Chambers county, Alabama.

To-morrow is general review when Gen. Price ("Old Pap," as the soldiers call him) will review the army here at Saltillo. Health of the soldiers improving. Our rations are poor, consisting of blue beef and bread, with little bacon occasionally. Water scarce and muddy. We hear to-day of the death of Jas. T. Williams, who joined Capt. Kellam’s Company, Oliver’s Regiment, soon after he was discharged from our Company. Such are the fortunes of war, but before this struggle will end, many wives will be almost heart broken and many mothers mourn the loss of their sons.

Aug. 21. The writer is quite sick, having had high fever all night passed.



37th Alabama Regiment of Volunteer Infantry CSA
2300 Cottondale Lane Little Rock, AR 72202

© Copyright 2007 C.C. (Chip) Culpepper